Skip to content

MultiCore – Unity

Home Forums Developer Concurrency Kit MultiCore – Unity

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jossburnett

The AssetStore description implies that this product supports running across leverage multiple cores for Unity. However, the code provided for unity is based on coroutines which execute on the main thread. Have I misunderstood something?

Can you provide an example of utilising multi cores from within Unity safely?

Administrator
    Keymaster

You are correct, access to most Unity methods must be on the main Unity thread. This is typical of many UI frameworks as well. However, just like standard UI frameworks, it’s entirely possible to run logic off thread and at a different frequency, then callback to the main thread when the results are ready. There are different ways to set this up and it really depends on what type of logic you would like to offload or wait for (pathfinding, physics, etc.).

Ultimately it boils down to picking which scheduler you want the calls to run on. So you could do something like this:

void Start()
    {
        // Grab a snapshot of the current transform and state
        var physicsState = ReadFromRigidbody();
        Task.Factory.StartNew(() => ProcessOnAnotherCore(physicsState)) // thread pool
    	.ContinueWith((t) => ApplyOnUnityThread(physicsState), taskScheduler); // Unity thread
    }

When you’re interacting with the Unity thread like this you will need to manage marshaling data back and forth and there are various patterns for that such as in the above example. You could have Unity push the data to another thread in Update() or you could pull the latest from another thread at whatever frequency you need it:

void ThreadPoolThread()
    {
        PhysicsState physicsState;
        taskFactory.StartNew(() => CopyFromUnity(physicsState)).Wait();
        DoSomethingWithCurrentState(physicsState);
        taskFactory.StartNew(() => CopyToUnity(physicsState));
    }

Longer running operations or those that run more infrequently than Unity’s Update() lend themselves better to offloading to another thread. If you’re interacting with Unity’s physics system you’ll want to take into account that the main thread can update transform data while you’re working with the copy.

I hope that explanation helps some, and please let me know if I can provide any more info.

jossburnett

Many thanks for the reply. I will give it a go. I realise you have released this library at a low cost, however, it would be really great if there were some tutorials or examples that would show how to leverage the power behind it all.

Administrator
    Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback!

If you haven’t used the Task Parallel Library before from .NET, I recommend this series here on CodeProject which has great examples of what you can do with the library:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/152765/Task-Parallel-Library-1-of-n

Beyond that foundation, the Concurrency Kit adds micro-threading support, a Unity coroutine task scheduler, and MonoBehaviour extensions which you can read a little more about here:

http://spicypixel.com/static/developer/concurrency-kit/api-reference/?topic=html/ecb518db-2bfe-4374-a299-a309c51973c4.htm

http://spicypixel.com/static/developer/concurrency-kit/api-reference/?topic=html/ecb518db-2bfe-4374-a299-a309c51973c5.htm

http://spicypixel.com/static/developer/concurrency-kit/api-reference/?topic=html/2a81f423-ee99-4745-a514-3db4a67dbb00.htm

Let me know if there is a specific scenario you have in mind that you would like to see more examples for and I’ll see if we can add some content on that in the future.

jossburnett

Hi and thanks for your response. I do use the TPL in my “day” job. My suggestion was that the target audience of Unity Users might find it beneficial to see some working examples of how this kind of approach might make their lives easier and their code cleaner than the usual Coroutine code that they are used to.

I do not have any specific examples. Did you not have any specific uses in mind when you built it?

Administrator
    Keymaster

Indeed, there are networking and AI scenarios where this approach adds value compared to the built-in coroutine support in Unity. It’s also really useful for portable libraries that expose an async interface. We have some other projects in the works that use the framework and will demonstrate this, but I agree with you it would be good to have more online content showing this in the interim. Thanks again for the feedback.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.